I spent quite a while looking for a B2Evolution plugin that places a Stack Overflow Flair widget on my blog. I couldn't find one so I started writing one. If the Flair widget just required your user name then it would've been ok because everyone can remember that. Unfortunately the widget needs your user id which you will almost certainly not know. The only way to find this out is to log into Stack Overflow and go to the Flair's page. The user identifier is embedded in the HTML code. So once you've got to this point you might as well just cut and paste the HTML code you want. A plugin isn't worth writing if it doesn't save you any time or effort.
So here is how you create a B2Evolution Stack Overflow widget on your blog.
- Log into B2Evolution back office.
- Go to Blog -> Settings.
- Select the Widgets tab.
- Choose the area you want to install the widget. (In my case Sidebar).
- Click Add widget.
- Click the Free HTML link.
- Add Stack Overflow to the Block title so that this widget shows in the list as Stack Overflow (Free HTML).
- Paste your Flair code in the Block content.
- I have checked Allow caching because the caching caches the code and not the image at the end of the code.
- Finish with Update.
Currently I'm using a hand rolled version of evopress which is one of B2Evolution's built in skins. I had to adjust the width of the image from 206 to 205 so that it didn't overlap the edge of the page.
No feedback yet
Form is loading...